Short hardy vine
My daughter lives in downtown Toronto (Kensington Market area) and has a space 3′ by about 13′ between a sidewalk and a lattice fence she would like to hide. She is very busy and needs something to plant that needs very little maintenance. The fence is only about 4′ high and faces north with about 4 or 5 hours of sun. Is there a short growing vine that would work to hide the fence? Any suggestions on perennials to fill in the rest of the space? If a vine is not a good idea maybe some large perennials or shrubs might work. My problem is that I am from Saskatchewan and I have no idea what grows well in Toronto in this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Thank you for contacting the Toronto Master Gardeners. The growing conditions in Toronto certainly are different from those is Saskatchewan.
Downtown Toronto is Zone 6a according to Canada’s recently revised Plant Hardiness Zone map http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/?m=22&lang=en&prov=Ontario&val=T
The following plants would be options to consider for the planting area. To help you decide a link has been provided for each plant describing it’s appearance, growing conditions and care requirements. Something to keep in mind is the size once the plant is mature – the path is quite close to the fence – you wouldn’t want anything that will too large and spill over onto the pathway.
Have fun in reviewing your options – having an almost blank palette to work with is every gardeners dream.
- climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala subsp. Petiolaris): http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d370
- wild passion flower (Passiflora incarnate): http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=q280
- some clematis thrive in part-shade: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/
- bullock’s heart ivy (Hedera colchica ‘Dentata Variegata’): http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=u190
- kirengeshoma (Kirengeshoma koreana): http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=291424&isprofile=0&
- porcelain vine (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata var.maximowiczii ‘Elegans’): http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=r350