Hello. I was planning to plant foxgloves in my yard this year for the first time, but I have just learned that they are poisonous. I have a dog, as well as squirrels, a rabbit and many birds who visit the yard. Does foxglove pose a risk to them? Thanks for your help.


Yes, I am afraid that if there is any chance of your dog biting the plant,  you should not consider it. Foxglove contains cardiac glycosides that are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Consuming this plant can lead to cardiac arrhythmias, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, heart failure and death.

You can find more information at the Pet Poison Helpline here.