My red geraniums in my front flower pots were doing well but one has stopped flowering. Why? Just taking a break?
Could be. Geraniums may want to rest a bit when the weather has been really hot — as it has been for the last several weeks in southern Ontario!
To encourage the geraniums to bloom, make sure
- you are not over-watering the plants (the roots should not be waterlogged, or the plant will suffer)
- the soil in the pots is well-drained
- the plants get at least 6 hours of sunlight every day (you may need to move them to a sunnier spot)
- you fertilize the plants – e.g., with a balanced fertilizer (10-10-10) every couple of weeks
- to deadhead the spent blooms
And I hope you’re not like me – – I tend to over-stuff my pots and planters so that the plants grow beautifully at first but end up competing for space, water and food….sometimes I have to remove a few plants so that all may thrive.